Church of the Miraculous Savior of Christ

On the territory of the Irkutsk Kremlin stands the oldest stone building in Irkutsk - the Church of the Miraculous Savior of Christ. The temple was founded in 1672, withstood the strongest earthquake of 1861-1862, survived the fire of 1879 and the destruction of the cathedral.

The church was closed in 1931. In Soviet times, various organizations were located here, but in the 60s of the XX century, the church was reconstructed and recognized as a monument of republican significance. The church was transferred to the Irkutsk diocese only in 2006.
The architecture of the Church of the Saviour is a typical early Posad church. When the architects did a laser scan of the temple in 2007, it turned out that there was not a single identical window in it, which explains that the construction was uneven with the involvement of different work people in the construction, as they say, "who's into what".

The Church of the Savior in Irkutsk is the only church in Siberia where paintings of the XIX century have been preserved on the outer walls of the building. They depict: the sacrament of baptism (presumably of the Buryat people), the entry of Jesus Christ into the Jordan River and the ceremony of beatification of the Orthodox to the face of saints. The apse of the temple depicts the Savior not made with hands.
An interesting detail is the clock on the facade, they are considered the first in Irkutsk. Apart from the fact that this clock existed, there are no diagrams or photographs, it is only known that the old clock (XXV) had a moving dial without hands, and every hour a bell was striking.

The watches that we see now were made by local craftsmen and installed in 2018. Modern chimes with Old Russian and Roman numerals have a diameter of 2 m. and weigh more than 300 kg. Their control unit is linked to the Glonass system.

Church of the Miraculous Savior of Christ

Sukhbaatar Str., 2